The AR-18 is a gas operated, selective fire assault rifle chambered for 5.56x45mm ammunition.
- Weight: 6.7 lb (3.0 kg) (empty)
- 7.18 lb (3.3 kg) (loaded w/20 rd. magazine)
- Length: 38 in (970 mm)
- Barrel length: 18.25 in (464 mm) (6-groove rifling)
- Rate of fire: 750 rounds/min
- Muzzle velocity: 3,250 ft/s (991 m/s)
- Feed system: 20, 30, or 40-round box magazine
- Sights: Iron or removable 3× scope
- In The Terminator, the AR-18 is first seen in the gun shop scene. Later, an AR-18, along with a SPAS-12, is used by the Terminator to shoot out the police station and during the car chase following the motel scene. The gun is used with the stock removed (like the SPAS-12) and with two magazines taped together in a 'jungle style' configuration. The script refers to the rifle as an AR-18 and it is shown as such in the movie, though rather obviously a California gun store in 1984 would never sell a fully automatic rifle over the counter. The Terminator novel excuses this by stating the T-800 instead took a civilian AR-180 semi-automatic rifle and converted it to full-auto using tools stolen from a hardware store earlier in the day.
- The Terminator