Come with me if you want to live.
Sergeant Kyle Reese is a Resistance soldier from the Tech-Com, serial number DN38416. From 2021 to 2027, he served with the 132nd under Justin Perry. In 2027, he joined the leader of the Resistance, John Connor's Tech-Com fighting unit, where he was assigned recon/security. In the year 2029 he was sent back in time to the year 1984 to protect Sarah Connor from a T-800 Model 101 Terminator. Kyle Reese was the father of John Connor, through the result of a predestination paradox.
Kyle Reese was a Human Resistance soldier in the post-apocalypse future, where most of humanity had already been wiped out in a deadly nuclear Third World War, sparked off by an artificial intelligence entity known as Skynet. The computer system launched another genocidal war on the survivors of the war between the Eastern Bloc and the West. Born after the first war around 2003, Reese was one of the last remaining humans who achieved a victory over the machines.
He survived the capture and killing of his fellow humans only to serve as a slave in one of Skynet's concentration camps, where he and others were forced to load huge numbers of dead bodies into Skynet's furnaces to be incinerated. Reese's freedom would come when a resistance movement, led by John Connor (whom Reese would unwittingly father later in the movie, and ironically consider his closest friend), freed him and the others from Skynet. After leaving the camps, Reese served in the 132nd division under Perry from 2021 to 2027 before transferring as a sergeant to Tech-Com under John Connor himself. John Connor and the resistance would eventually rally enough remaining humans and resources to launch an assault on Skynet.
The final assault would eventually allow the human resistance to cripple Skynet. The Resistance was able to smash Skynet's defense grid allowing them to enter Skynet's main complex and attempt to destroy it. Skynet however would have a final move left: using time displacement equipment, Skynet would send one of its most feared machines (the Terminator) back to May 12, 1984, a Thursday, to kill the young Sarah Connor, known to have been the eventual mother of John Connor, the leader of the Resistance, and thus prevent the birth of Connor and his future rebellion.
Realizing what Skynet was attempting to do, John Connor sends a soldier to protect himself from the machine menace. It would be Reese who would volunteer himself to go back. Once Reese had gone through, the time travel equipment would be destroyed, leaving only Reese and the Terminator in 1984. Arriving unarmed and not knowing what the Terminator looks like in its disguise, Reese locates Sarah Connor, warning her of the impending doom of the human race and of the future significance carried by her and her unborn son.
- ""I'm Reese, Sergeant Techcom, DN38416... assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination."
- - Kyle Reese informally introduces himself to Sarah Connor, The Terminator
After tracking Sarah to a club at the same time as the Terminator, Reese provides Sarah with a rushed explanation of the reason for the Terminator hunting her and his own role in events, but they are subsequently captured by the police after the Terminator's car crashes and Sarah and Kyle are surrounded. With the Terminator having fled the scene, Reese is questioned by criminal psychiatrist Dr Peter Silberman, who puts Reese's story of the Terminator and the Future War down as nothing more than a psychotic delusion, although complimenting the scale of it due to the explanations for the lack of future technology. Although Sarah briefly doubts Reese herself, when the Terminator attacks again, Reese manages to escape and retrieve Sarah while the Terminator tears through the station staff.
Having grown up in the future where the machines had all but wiped out the human race, Reese is both physically and mentally hardened. His body is scarred from numerous battles with Skynet, and he has a number of burns as a result of the time travel process. In a deleted scene, when he tries to stop Sarah from going to Cyberdyne Systems, he sees something he has never seen before, what the world looks like before the War Against the Machines. He says he thinks of it as a dream, the trees and stream, the flowers, and Sarah, all beautiful. Bursting into tears, he confesses that it hurts, because he wasn't meant to see this. He then agrees with Sarah that they should try to change the future.
Though hard and battle weary, Reese had a love for Sarah despite having never met and only through a photo could identify. The affection Reese felt for Sarah was based on the legend that surrounded her and on the image of her from the photograph given to him by John Connor. Though initially hostile towards Reese, Sarah grows to trust and love him as he becomes the only thing between her and the Terminator. On the run from the Terminator, Reese and Sarah share a night of intimacy, in which her future son and human leader John Connor is conceived.
However, Reese's life is cut short when both he and Sarah are forced to confront the Terminator. A chase ensues with the Terminator following first on a motorcycle and then in a semi-tanker truck. During the chase, Reese is hit by gunfire. After apparently thinking that they destroyed the Terminator, they run to an automated factory, later revealed to be owned by Cyberdyne Systems where the now-metal endoskeleton of the Terminator pursues them inside. Kyle turns on all the equipment as cover while the Terminator batters its way through the door.
After Sarah accidentally turns on a machine, their hiding place is discovered and the Terminator finds them. After reaching the stairs of a crawlway, Reese tells Sarah to run for cover while Kyle tries to beat the Terminator with a metal rod. The Terminator slashes Kyle to the floor, and Reese reaches for a pipe bomb and lights it up, placing it into the Terminator's abdomen. The Terminator explodes except for its lower midsection and Reese rolls down a metal stairway head first. A short time later, after Sarah removes a piece of shrapnel from her leg, she tends to Kyle and finds he had broken his neck, his dead body with face covered with blood from the fight with the Terminator and the shrapnel/debris from the explosion.
However, the Terminator's midsection is still functional and begins to chase Connor again. Sarah then crushes the Terminator in a mechanical press and later tearfully sees Reese's dead body being zipped up in a body bag and taken away. Although Reese died not knowing Sarah was carrying his son that was his future commander, his strength and courage gives Sarah enough for her to teach her unborn son for the pending future he will bring.
NOW Comics timeline
Kyle was separated from Tim, his younger brother when Tim was six years old.
T2 Trilogy timeline
Kyle and Mary Shea, his mother, were captured by Luddite Patrol A-36 under the command of Sam Marshall AS-783490 and delivered to a Century Work Camp to serve as slaves. Dennis Reese and John Connor led an assault against the Luddite extermination camp three years after Mary and Kyle were captured. Mary and her husband were killed by a Terminator during the assault on the camp. John Connor came out of the smoke and said "Come with me if you want to live".
Infinity / Revolution timeline
Kyle is an orphan who talks a lot less. He spotted John sewing Uncle Bob's scar.
He is later adopted by John Connor and Tara Holden. He is urged to fight but prohibited by Tara because a reason which cannot be told. He travels back to 1996 accidentally during a battle against the Dire Wolf. He helps John, Sarah, and young John to destroy the Dire Wolf. Later, he and John travel back to 2015 via the remains of the T-Infinity. After the War, Kyle has his own family in 2032.
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles timeline
- Main article: Kyle Reese (TSCC)
Terminator Salvation timeline
Kyle Reese, a sixteen year-old, is Skynet's priority target in 2018, and John Connor is trying to find him in order to protect him.
At a certain point in post-Judgment-Day Los Angeles, Kyle has been working closely with Star, a young mute girl, and the two have developed a close working friendship which is based upon hand signals. Shortly after the activation of Marcus Wright, Kyle rescues him from a Series 600 Terminator that attacked him, destroying it in front of an old toy company. The two developed a working relationship soon after with Marcus teaching him several tactics to survive. He is not yet a member of the Resistance and is listed as being of civilian status according to General Ashdown, but Reese considers himself and Star to be the Resistance's Los Angeles Branch.
After spending the night at Griffith Observatory, Reese, Star, and Marcus set out in a jeep to find John Connor. After a brief chase with a Skynet probe that scans Kyle's face, they briefly stop at a believed to be derelict 7-Eleven in the desert, but they find themselves with a group of survivors led by a woman named Virginia. They are offered food and supplies, but their rest is short lived when they are attacked by a Harvester. After Marcus stuns the heavy machine, Kyle is instrumental in trying to destroy the Moto-Terminators now giving them chase from his vantage point on the tow truck. This would be futile. Reese as well as Star were soon after taken hostage by Skynet and taken to Skynet Central aboard a transport. While underway Kyle would try to keep the troops rallied and looked for anything that could be considered a weapon.
Upon arrival, however, he was separated when Skynet identified him and taken to an execution chamber. His quick thinking helped him in escaping from the Series 600 Terminator assigned to guard him and he was soon reunited with Star. Moments later, he would meet John Connor for the very first time, only to be attacked by the T-RIP, a prototype Series 800 Terminator sent to kill Connor. They would escape to the Terminator Factory where Kyle would work closely with Connor to build a bomb capable of destroying the machines along with the whole facility. Kyle was rescued by the Resistance and left alongside Connor and the rest of his squad.
Back at a Resistance outpost after the destruction of the Skynet Central, Kyle is among the people watching John Connor, who is mortally wounded in the battle. John gives his jacket to Kyle before Marcus decides to provide his heart to John for the transplant surgery.
After burying Marcus' body, Kyle finds a snapshot of Sarah Connor in the jacket given by John.
Terminator: 2029 timeline
Kyle Reese barely survived being killed by the T-800. He was then held by government officials curious as to his knowledge of the future, before they were replaced by Terminators after Judgement Day. He managed to survive to 2029, where he meets a friend of his, named Ben and warned him to go into the past to save him after his capture. Ben contacted Sarah, and together, they rescue Kyle from a government facility. Unfortunately, Kyle was soon killed by another Terminator sent to kill Sarah.
- Kyle suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, as he experiences nightmarish flashback and can be easily aggravated, such as during his police interrogation.
- As seen in the extended release of Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Kyle appears unchanged from his appearance in the first film to Sarah in hallucinations at her stay at Pescadero State Hospital. In these hallucinations, he tells her to go and protect John, because more Terminators are coming and the future is not set.
- In contrast with the first film, it is evident that Kyle's history has been altered due to the events in Terminator 2: Judgment Day. He was born before Judgment Day. His father initially survived Judgment Day but was killed prior to the events of the film.
- Marcus Wright teaches Kyle Reese how to strap a shotgun to his arm with a cord to prevent losing it, a skill which he demonstrates with a shotgun upon his arrival in 1984 in The Terminator.
- Kyle Reese says the line "Come with me if you want to live." twice: in The Terminator and again in Terminator Salvation. He also says a variation of the line in Sarah's dream in "The Good Wound". He also hears the line said by John Connor in T2: Future War and by Sarah Connor in Terminator Genisys respectively.
Behind the Scenes
- Kyle Reese has appeared in every on-screen Terminator fiction except for Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines. Reese appeared again in Terminator 2: Judgment Day in Sarah's dream as a salvation or guardian angel, but he has been cut from the theatrical release.
- Kyle Reese is portrayed by Michael Biehn in the first two Terminator films. Biehn attributes his training for Reese as the reason for his subsequent casting in Aliens as Corporal Dwayne Hicks, as he was able to avoid the marine training that other actors required as he was already in shape after his training for Reese.
- On Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Kyle Reese is portrayed by Jonathan Jackson at age 22, Skyler Gisondo at age 8, and an unknown actor at age 5.
- Kyle Reese as a sixteen-year-old is portrayed by Anton Yelchin in Terminator Salvation.
- Jai Courtney portrayed Kyle in Terminator Genisys.
- Apparently John never told anyone about Kyle Reese's identity as his father, not even Kyle himself. All he did was give Kyle a picture of Sarah and left him to figure it out. Even when Skynet kidnapped Kyle and John told Ashdown that Kyle is the key to the war, he did not elaborate on why but simply stated without him, the war would be lost.
- Kyle Reese's appearance in the future from the film The Terminator is used for the cover of 1987 Konami game Metal Gear as the protagonist Solid Snake.
- "The Skynet Database: Human Central Archive" featured in Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines DVD states that Kyle Reese was born in 2008. However, Kyle is a teenager instead of just 10-year-old in Terminator Salvation.
- Hot Toys
- Sergeant Tech-Com Kyle Reese DX 38416 (1/6th scale collectible figure, 2005)
- Product code: LT1050504
- Accessories: future gun, pistol, bomb, gas mask with carrier, cap, headset, goggle, holster, pouches, endoskeleton hand, figure stand
- Kyle Reese Human Resistance Soldier (7" action figure, 2012)
- Accessories: 12 gauge shotgun with sling, Sarah Connor polaroid
- DC Direct Busts
- The Terminator (First appearance)
- Terminator 2: Judgment Day (Director's cut version)
- T2 3-D: Battle Across Time
- Terminator Salvation
- Comic books
- The Terminator (NOW Comics) (Mentioned only)
- The Terminator: One Shot (Mentioned only)
- Terminator: All My Future's Past
- Terminator 2: Judgment Day - Cybernetic Dawn (Flashback)
- Terminator 2: Judgment Day - Nuclear Twilight
- Infinity / Revolution
- Painkiller Jane vs. Terminator (Mentioned only)
- T2 novels
- The New John Connor Chronicles
- Video games
- Television series
- Main article: Kyle Reese (TSCC)
- ↑ Fifth draft of script
- ↑ A likely COD, but the concussion-or even shrapnel-from the explosion may have contributed to his death.
- ↑ "Skynet Database: Human Central Archive", from [[Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (film)|]]: DVD Special Features". In two different sections, this DVD states that Kyle Reese's serial number is BN38416 and DN38416. Apparently one of them is a typo.
- ↑ The fourth draft of The Terminator script gives Kyle's serial number as DN38416
- ↑ Junker HQ
- ↑ The Terminator imitated by the games (Japanese)
|Characters of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles|