Operation Chrono was a battle in The War Against the Machines in 2029. It was during this battle that the Resistance, led by John Connor, won a decisive victory against the machines by smashing Skynet's defense grid at its central core in Cheyenne Mountain, Colorado. It was during this time Skynet decided that instead of terminating John Connor in the present, it can terminate him in the past, starting with killing his mother, Sarah Connor by sending a T-800 to 1984 do the job, and then a T-1000 to 1995 to kill a younger version of John in case the T-800 failed to complete its own mission. Once John found out about it, he too decided to send two of his own soldiers back through time: Kyle Reese to protect his mother, and a reprogrammed Series 800 Terminator to protect his younger self.
- The North American Resistance launch an all-out assault on Skynet's defense grid in Colorado.
- Skynet decides to terminate John Connor in the past.
- Skynet sends a Series 800 Terminator back to 1984 to kill Sarah Connor.
- Skynet sends a Series 1000 Terminator back to 1995 to kill John Connor.
- John Connor asks for a volunteer and sends back Kyle Reese (age 27) to protect Sarah.
- John Connor orders Snog to reprogram a captured T-800 to send back to protect his younger self in 1995.
In Genisys timeline, Alex, the advanced Terminator that houses Skynet of an alternate future, was able to infiltrate the Tech-Com unit led by John Connor and attacked him while Kyle Reese is in the Time Displacement Equipment. The eventual Machine-Phase Matter mutation that turns Connor into a T-3000 Terminator causes changes to both the past and the future.
- Dr. Silberman: So. You're a soldier. Fighting for whom?
- Kyle Reese: With the One Thirty Second under Perry, from '21 to '27.
- Dr. Silberman: That's the year 2027?
- Kyle Reese: That's right. Then I was assigned Recon/Security, last two years, under John Connor.
- Dr. Silberman: And who was the enemy again?
- Kyle Reese: A computer defense system built for...
- (Silberman's beeper goes off)
- Dr. Silberman: Damn! (turns beeper off) Sorry.
- Kyle Reese: Built for SAC-NORAD by Cyberdyne Systems.
- Dr. Silberman: I see. And this, uh, computer thinks it can win by, uh, killing the mother of its enemy, killing him in effect, before he's even conceived. Some sort of retroactive abortion? Why didn't the computer just kill John Connor then? I mean, why this obsession with the Terminator?
- Kyle Reese: It had no choice. Their defense grid was smashed. We'd won. Taking out Connor then would make no difference. Skynet had to wipe out his entire existence.
- Dr. Silberman: Is that when you captured the lab complex and found the, uh, what's it called? The time-displacement equipment?
- Kyle Reese: That's right. The Terminator had already gone through. Connor sent me to intercept and they blew the whole place.
- Dr. Silberman: Well, how are you supposed to get back?
- Kyle Reese: I can't. Nobody goes home. Nobody else comes through. It's just him and me.
- The Terminator
- The Terminator (Mentioned only)
- Terminator 2: Judgment Day (Mentioned only)
- Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (Victory Cameo)
- Terminator Genisys
- Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (Mentioned only)