|Dr. Serena Kogan|
|Portrayed by:||Helena Bonham Carter|
|First Appearance:||Terminator Salvation|
|Last Appearance:||Terminator Salvation|
|Date of Death:||Terminator Salvation, most likely in 2003 or 2004|
Chief biologist of Cyberdyne Systems
|Relationships:||Marcus Wright (test subject)|
|Affiliations:|| Cyberdyne Systems Genetics Division|
Dr. Serena Kogan was a geneticist working for the Cyberdyne Systems Genetics Division.
In 2003, Serena was dying of terminal cancer. While working for Cyberdyne, she was head of Project Angel, which sought to use cybernetics to prolong and save human lives. This project used the bodies of executed prisoners who had donated their bodies to medical research. One of these subjects was Marcus Wright, who Serena approached multiple times to attempt to get him to give his consent. She received it the day of his execution in exchange for a kiss. Kogan died of her cancer an unspecified time before Cyberdyne was purchased by the Air Force, before which she had made several breakthroughs in cellular regeneration.
Post-Judgment Day, her research was used by Skynet to turn Marcus into a cyborg as a Prototype Infiltrator. When he was in the Skynet Central, her image, pulled from his mind, was used to communicate with him by Skynet itself.
- According to Skynet when communicating with Marcus, Serena Kogan's face is the easiest for him to process (or recall from past memories).
- Serena's appearance in the comic adaptation is much healthier than her appearance in the beginning of the film.
Behind the Scenes
- Tilda Swinton was originally considered for the character, but Bonham Carter replaced her before filming. She accepted the part because her boyfriend, Tim Burton, is a Terminator fan.
- In an earlier draft of the script, Serena was the main antagonist and a Hybrid who actually in control of Skynet. An image (see Gallery) shows Serena this way. Though the scene is completed shooting, this idea was dropped in subsequent re-writes.
- Terminator Salvation franchise
- [Serena meets with Marcus Wright for the last time before his pending execution]
- Serena: Marcus... How are you?
- Marcus: Ask me in an hour.
- [Serena sits down on a stool]
- Serena: I wanted to try one last time.
- Marcus: You should've stayed in San Francisco, Dr. Kogan.
- Serena: You have a chance to be part of something wonderful. Through my research, you can have a second chance to live again.
- Marcus: What makes you think I want a second chance? My brother and two cops are dead because of me... Ah, but I'm not the only one with a death sentence, am I? You think I can cure your cancer, Serena?
- Serena: I'm not worried about myself. I'm worried about the future of the human race.
- Marcus: I'll sell it to you.
- Serena: For what?
- Marcus: A kiss. [Serena nods, Marcus kisses her] So that's what death tastes like.
- [Marcus signs the consent form and Serena leaves the cell]
- Serena: You've done a very noble thing today, Marcus.
- Marcus: I'm guilty. Just cut me up until there's nothing left.
- Concept arts
- Terminator Salvation film