With rogue Terminators increasingly reprogrammed to help the Resistance, Skynet decided to make a Terminator series with the intent of terminating other Terminators. The T-900 series is twice as fast, strong and durable. Its battle chassis is covered with hyperalloy armor and has many choices of vision. The T-900 is powered by a miniature plasma fusion reactor in its torso, making its body glow in certain color. It has the ability to drive animals to the point of attacking their own handlers.
Skynet made models for different purposes on the battlefield which they also named differently:
- T-900: The standard model of the T-900 without the living tissue.
- T-900 (Infiltrator): This type of the T-900 has the endoskeleton covered with living tissue, able to come close to humans.
- T-900 Supply: This type of the T-900 has red sensors and Terminator rejuvenation kits. During battle, they can supply ammunition to the other Terminators.
- T-900 Heavy: This type of the T-900 is very much like the T-900 Supply in build. They have blue sensors and can have an RSB-80 Plasma Cannon. They can also notify HK planes to bombard a human base or convoy.
- T-950: The T-950 is an advanced model of the T-900.
Interestingly, the T-900s have appeared to be particularly inefficient and otherwise inferior compared to older models, despite their increased capabilities.
One opinion is that these T-900s had little combat experience compared to the battle-hardened T-850. Their CPUs may also have been set to read-only, allowing Skynet more control over them but at the same time limiting their ability to learn.
In the context of the Terminator games, all of the Terminators' strength and lethality are compensated for both the sake of ESRB rating and gameplay.
Determining which version is canon remains difficult. However, the original T-900 design is used as the merchandise and featured as a cameo in the Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines film with blue glowing as opposed to red, making the original version closer to canon.
Terminator 3: War of the Machines
Like the T-700 model, the original T-900 has several distinct variations in design. The original T-900, is a hyper-alloy armored foot-soldier built to replace the T-800 as the standard ground unit in the war against the Resistance. It possessed a red glow from the plasma reactor housed in its chest (others glowed green or yellow depending on their purpose).
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines game
The T-900 maintained its previous appearance, only this time the detail on its endo-skull was clearly different to that of previous Terminators; possessing a reinforced jaw bone structure and an overall increase in cranial protection.
An early design of the T-900 shows a slightly different model with less armor around the spinal region and the thigh area. During a scene of the game, one of the machines identifies another as a T-950. However, all other promotional material refers to it as a T-900.
Terminator 3: The Redemption
The final version of the T-900 possesses a lot more in common with its predecessor, the T-800, than it does with the T-X — featuring a T-800 style endo-skull and a bulkier chassis that gives it the appearance of a T-800 that has had armor plating applied to its endoskeleton. Like the others, it glows red from within, but to a lesser degree.
- There are four glowing colors of the plasma reactor: blue, red, green, and yellow.
- In Terminator 3: The Redemption, the T-850 endoskeleton is similar to the T-900 with less armor plates.
- Note for editors: The difference between the T-900 and T-950 is still ambiguous. If you have more information, please help with editing the page.
- Specified: Editors who played the games or owns guidebooks of the games
- Main article: Talk: Series 950
- Trading Card Games
- Concept art
- Cover art
- Screen captures
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines game
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Terminator 3: War of the Machines
- ↑ Terminator 3: The Redemption
- The Terminator Fans (Fanon)